Friday, April 30, 2010

Great Salt Plains

This picture isn't of snow or water but SALT covering the earth!

"Great Salt Plains State Park is your gateway to one of Oklahoma's most fascinating natural wonders. The Salt Plains are literally a sea of salt. They offer selenite crystal digging in season and outstanding bird watching all year long. Great Salt Plains Lake is located at the park and covers 8,690 surface acres with 41 miles of shoreline and is a shallow, salty lake -- about 1/3 to 1/2 as salty as the ocean -- with fishing opportunities for catfish, saugeye, sandbass and hybrid striper." 

Pretty cool, huh?  That's where my family, father, sisters and family all went a couple of weeks ago for a weekend getaway.  How have I lived in OK for most of my life and never heard of this place?!  It was so much fun getting dirty and digging for crystals!  We found a TON and can't wait to make some jewelry out of  my little treasures. 

Here are a few pics from the weekend.  I left my camera at home (boo!) but my sister got some good shots. 


Our little gang of hoodlums.  As you can see in the background the salt plains was more like the great muddy plains when we went.  It rained the entire day before and all through the night.  It made for easy digging!


My nephew Jace burring Gavin in mud...it's vacation right?  Why not. 



All the guys went fishing.  Zander was the only one to catch anything!  He was sooo proud!



While the guys went fishing we put the 3 babies down for a nap...they were exhausted from all the digging....my beautiful sisters and I had some bonding time.  We explored around the cabin and enjoyed nature. 



Played a little jenga and had cocktails (and I won, of course)!


And climbed trees.  Yes, we were sore the next day! 


Hannah with BoBo (aka Samuel)

It was a great place for a family vacation.  The cabins were small but very nice.  They had full kitchens with dishes and cookware, grill and fire pit outside, and heating and air conditioning.  They also provided lots of towels and extra sheets, pillows and blankets.  Only $60-75 a night!  2 thumbs up! 

1 comment:

Martha said...

I don't know how I missed this one. Looks like you guys had a great time! I haven't ever heard of these in OK either.