Espresso Banana Muffins
- 2 cups of white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of fine grain sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups of toasted walnuts
- 1 tbsp of fine espresso powder (I use 2 tbsp of fine ground coffee)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter...room temp
- 3/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 lg eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups of mashed overripe bananas (about 3 lg bananas)
Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tins.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, 3/4 cup of walnuts, and espresso in bowl.
In separate large bowl or mixer, cream the butter until fluffy. Beat in sugar and then the eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla, yogurt and mashed bananas. Then briefly and gently stir in dry ingredients. Over stirring causes muffins to be tough.
Divide into muffin tin. Top with remaining walnuts. Bake 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove.
Makes 12 muffins.
I got this recipe from Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson...love, love, love this cookbook.
These muffins are amazing warm with a little butter.....mmmm....but you know what the best thing about them is??? Your kids can't eat them because they have coffee in them! Yeah, I'm one of those moms that will buy the jalaneno kettle cooked chips so I don't have to share. I'm stingy like that.